The International Peace Bureau is dedicated to the vision of a World Without War. Our current main programme centres on Disarmament for Sustainable Development and within this, our focus is mainly on the reallocation of military expenditure. We believe that by reducing funding for the military sector, significant amounts of money could be released for social projects, domestically or abroad, which could lead to the fulfillment of real human needs and the protection of the environment. At the same time, we support a range of disarmament campaigns and supply data on the economic dimensions of weapons and conflicts. Our campaigning work on nuclear disarmament began already in the 1980s.
Our 300 member organisations in 70 countries, together with individual members, form a global network, bringing together knowledge and campaigning experience in a common cause. We link experts and advocates working on similar issues in order to build strong civil society movements.
IPB has had Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council since 1977. We also have associate status with the Department of Public Information.
IPB plays a central role in the Geneva-based NGO Committee for Disarmament, a committee of CONGO, the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Status with ECOSOC. There are sister committees in New York and Vienna. Together we follow various disarmament negotiations, within and outside the UN.
We are a Nobel Peace Laureate (1910); over the years, 13 of our officers have been recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.
IPB is grateful for recent financial support from the following institutions:
- Rissho Kosei-kai Donate-a-Meal movement (Japan)
- Polden-Puckham Charitable Foundation (UK)
- J Leon Charitable Fund (UK)
We have also received small grants from:
- Tides Foundation (USA)
- Elfi-Gmachl-Stiftung Atomfreie Zukunft (Austria)
- Fundación Cultura de Paz (Spain)
- ChameleonJohn.com (USA), an online coupons company
- Discountrue (UK), a website providing promo codes
- AdvancedWriters (USA), assignment writing service
- Travel Ticker (USA), a fast-growing online hotel booking platform
- MyKidNeedsThat.com (USA), a parental resource for educational toys for children
- Dealslands UK– Grab UK Latest Vouchers
- Dealhack – coupons, promo codes, and sales for popular brands
Our Berlin world congress 2016 is supported by a range of German funders.
Note: All donations are tax-deductible; IPB is a non-profit association registered under Swiss law.