Date(s) - Monday - Apr 29, 2019 - Friday - May 10, 2019
Categories No Categories
Together with partner organisations, the International Peace Bureau will be involved as organiser or supporter in a series of side-events to the 3rd session of the Preparatory Committee for the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT)*, taking place in New York city from 29 April to 10 May 2019.
Events at the United Nations Headquarters
1. Apr 30, 10h-12h, Room TBD: Nuclear weapons in Europe (Organisers: IPB, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung)
Moderator: Reiner Braun (IPB)
- Sergio Duarte (former UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs) – The INF Treaty at threat
- Sara Medi Jones (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament – CND) – Nuclear weapons in Europe and in the UK
- Jean Marie Collin (Parlementaires pour la Non prolifération et le Désarmement nucléaire – PNND) – Nuclear weapons in Europe and in France
- Susi Snyder (Pax Christi, ICAN Intl Steering Group): A momentum for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Europe
2. April 30, 15h-17h, Room TBC: Tearing up the INF and attacks on the rules-based system (Organiser: Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament – CND; Supported by IPB)
List of speakers to be announced.
3. May 06, 10h-12h, Room TBD: Modernisations and New Nuclear Technologies (Organisers: IPB, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung)
Moderator: Arielle Denis (IPB)
- Jackie Cabasso (Western States Legal Foundation) – New developments of the weapons industry
- Andrew Lichterman (International Association of Lawyers against Nuclear Arms – IALANA) – Rethinking the Military-Industrial Complex
- Joseph Gerson (Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security) – Arms race developments in the Asia pacific region
A 4th event will be announced soon.
Other events in New York city (external to the UN buildings)
May 4, 8h30 – 17h30, Judson Memorial Church
(55 Washington Square): Growing Nuclear Risks in a Changing
World: New Thinking & Movement Building – An International Conference (Organisers & supporters: American Friends Service Committee; Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security; IPB; Peace Action; Peace and Planet; Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung; International Trade Union Confederation).
Click here to access the agenda and the list of speakers.
* About the PrepCom:
“The Preparatory Committee for the 2020 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) is scheduled to hold its third session from 29 April to 10 May 2019 at United Nations Headquarters in New York. This will be the third and final session prior to the 2020 Review Conference.
The Preparatory Committee, open to all States parties to the Treaty, is responsible for addressing substantive and procedural issues related to the Treaty and the forthcoming Review Conference. The Chair of the third session is Ambassador Muhammad Shahrul Ikram Yaakob of Malaysia.”