Joining IPB is a way for individuals and groups to be involved in and support the international network of peace activists – a broad network linking people in many different groups including religious bodies, labour unions, women’s groups, environmental organizations, etc., as well as peace movements.
1. Mailings: a variety of printed documents; email reports and messages on a variety of peace issues via our member organizations ‘yahoo’ group.
2. Access to the Geneva Secretariat and our extensive contacts among NGOs, research institutes, media, and national diplomatic missions; assistance for groups visiting Geneva.
3. Lists or labels of peace organizations working in specific fields.
4. Invitations to IPB events: seminars, conferences, and the triennial Assembly.
5. Discount rates on IPB book publications.
6. The opportunity to work with other members on joint peace projects, and to create IPB policy.
7. The right to nominate candidates in elections, including officers and regional representatives to the IPB Council, and to vote on resolutions.
You can offer
1. Exchange of information about peace activities in your region/field. This could include a regular exchange of publications.
2. Financial contributions to help ensure the continuity of IPB’s work.
3. Personal contacts from your own network of friends and colleagues, including potential sources of funding.
4. Translation and/or distribution of IPB materials.
5. Assistance with conferences and seminars in your area.
The IPB is run by an elected Council consisting of 2 Co-Presidents, 1 Treasurer, 5 Vice-Presidents and 13 regional representatives, plus the Board members. The Council meets annually, and the Board meets 3 times a year (plus skype calls). The IPB Assembly meets once every 3 years. As a member, you will have the right to send a representative to these meetings and to contribute to the strategic discussions.
Annual Fees (in Swiss Francs)
International Federations : 800 CHF (minimum 200 CHF)
National Federations : 800 CHF (minimum 200 CHF)
National : 450 CHF (minimum 100 CHF)
Local/area : 110 CHF (minimum 55 CHF)
Organizations for whom peace is one of many issues
Individual members : 50 CHF (minimum 20 CHF)
Lifetime individual membership : 500 CHF
All fees are negotiable. The financial year runs from January to December.
Low income countries
We get many requests from groups who cannot afford to pay fees at all, or who are unable to obtain foreign currency. If this concerns you, you could try the following:
1. Obtain sponsorship from a group in a developed country.
2. Offer services in kind, especially translation and distribution of IPB literature. (Translation is needed into all languages.)
3. Apply to secretariat for a reduced or zero fee agreement
Applying for membership
Organizations and individuals wishing to become members must apply by returning the application form to the secretariat. There are two different forms. One for individual members, and the other for organizations.
Organizations’ applications will be submitted to the IPB Council for approval. It may be possible to make use of membership services in advance of this date if the application is provisionally approved by the IPB Steering Committee.